A few months ago I decided I needed a change. I wasn't happy with myself and the fact I had "let myself go." So my coworker and I decided to start Weight Watchers and start exercising together. To make sure we would stay focused and on track, we decided to sign up for a few races. One of our parents also wanted to help us out. She is training to be a personal trainer and also has completed many races and triathlons. We decided to do the 5K Race for the Cure in April, the 5K Outrun the Sun in June and the sprint triathlon in August. We thought we could try the first race and time ourselves and then see if we can beat our time for the second race. We didn't think we would be able to run the whole race in April...but we did!

I am a little nervous (maybe a lot) about the sprint triathlon. It is a 500 meter swim (about 10 laps in a pool), 10 mile bike and a 3 mile run. It will be on August 21 at Eagle Creek. We have been doing a little swimming and biking but mostly we are trying to focus on the running. I have found that I am a horrible swimmer...and I am not exaggerating. It is the piece I struggle with the most. I am hoping with more practice it will become easier. I don't have a lot of upper body strength which doesn't help. I can do about 2 laps before I am out of breath and feel like I have to stop. Kate thinks it is because I don't seem very comfortable in the water...hopefully I will get over it soon especially since the swim will be in open water.

So far I feel great! I have lost about 16 pounds so far. I also feel pretty good running 3 miles. Now this might not sound like a lot, but for me it was. I never was a runner and didn't think I would enjoy it but I am. It was hard at first (running a few laps around the track was a struggle) but I am feeling more comfortable with running. It is nice to have someone there to help motivate you and push you through the running and other workouts. We both are determined and so far are doing a great job with staying on task. Drake has also been a great help. He is eating the foods that I am eating and helping me with Weight Watchers. He also helps make dinner (especially when I don't get home until 8 from school and softball). It is nice to have someone who supports you.

Here are a few pictures from Saturday!

Kate and I before the race! It was a beautiful (a little chilly) day.

After the race! We did it! 1 race down...2 more to go!